The whole point of a website is to generate traffic.
After getting traffic, you want to make sure they stick around and browse the site, with an end goal of signing up for a service or purchasing a product. If that doesn’t happen it defeats the whole purpose of a website and ends up being a waste of time.
Here are some ways that your site could be driving away customers:
- Unresponsive design drives a lot of customers away. If they’re not able to read the text or easily navigate your site, they will leave and go to your competitor. When they come across sites that are not optimized for mobile devices, they have to deal with text that is too large or too small, horrible layouts so the whole experience becomes a nightmare.
- Viewers don’t like to see too much fluff text. They want to be able to easily find what they’re looking for as fast as possible. If they have to search through a large amount of text or links are hard to see within the text, they will give up and leave. Therefore, make sure fluff text is kept to a minimum. You’re not writing an essay!
- If a website takes too long to load, users will go looking elsewhere. Most people want their information quick and don’t want to wait for a page to load. Attention span is not what it used to be and even just a few extra seconds of load time could drive them away. Most users will give you two to five seconds before calling it quits.
- Navigation plays a huge role. Users expect navigation to be at the top and easy to find. Important information like contact us should be clearly visible right when they go to the site. Users were redirected to your site for a reason and finding the information quickly is important to them.
- Users are looking for a clear call to action. When they land on your site, they need to be told what to do and what the end game is. If there is no clear call to action, they aren’t going to browse your whole site just to find it.
- Pop-ups are annoying and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. Excessive pop-ups are even worse. If your site is trying to oversell something by using pop-ups or other tactics to make them buy something, they may get fed up and leave.
- Bland content and sites that are not visually pleasing turn people off. Viewers like to feel calm when viewing sites; they don’t want constant nudges to do something (pop-ups or a million ads).
Think your site might be driving customers away or might need an upgrade? Get in touch and I will help you out!